Skip to content

Sicily! Part 2 . . .

May 31, 2012

Last summer my husband and I went to Sicily for two weeks.  It was an absolutely amazing vacation but Sicily is a very unique and rustic place and I think it’s really helpful to do a lot of research before you go.  So, here I’ll tell you about our itinerary and hopefully it can help you a bit in planning your own trip.  Feel free to completely copy it, although I think everyone likes to do their own thing!  This is a continuation of Sicily in Summer

3. Our third destination was Salina This is the island of Il Postino.  Wow, this was beautiful.  Let me just say that later on in our Sicily vacation our GPS sent us on a wrong route due to a road closure and we ended up in a real scary town that seemed like a backwater crumbling town.  I was freaking out and so to calm down I closed my eyes and imagined being back on Salina, sitting by the pool between the mountain and the sea.  It really worked.  I would return to Salina in a second.  It’s gorgeous, peaceful, remote yet with a lot of things to do, and its beauty is endless.  Like Panarea it also feels like you’ve reached some outer reaches of Italy and some undiscovered paradise, and there are primitive beaches and rugged mountainsides so it provides an adventurous rush also, especially if you drive or take the bus out to Pollara, the beach from Il Postino . . .

4. Lipari One day we took a day trip to Lipari from Salina.  You can easily take day trips to and from any of the Aeolian Islands, so it’s probably best to choose one or two favorites and make that your base to explore the others.  I really loved Lipari and would like to stay there on my next trip to the Aeolians.  We lucked out because we asked a taxi driver to bring us to a beach, and he brought us to BubuBubu is the pirate of Lipari, a tanned and bearded gentleman who takes visitors out in his small boat, with a pirate flag, to a secluded beach unreachable by car but occupied by two beach bars where you could rent lounge chairs.  We chose the beach on the right when you’re facing the shore and felt lucky we did, since their food was out of this world and just what we wanted – amazing sandwiches and the freshest fruit served in heaping fruit salads. The proprietor was a young father who was so excited for my baby bump, as was Bubu (who’s now my facebook friend and “likes” all my baby photos, to the point I almost feel like he’s a long lost relative). If you go to Lipari and meet Bubu, I’m sure you’ll also come home and search for his facebook page, and add photos of you and him from your little pirate trip!

5. Scopello.  I’ve written about Scopello before.  It’s the tiniest town I think I’ve ever been to.  Really.  It has a grocery store and a tiny town square with two restaurants, and one little deli.  But, that’s just what we needed.  The only activities here are outdoors so you have your shops to get supplies for your picnic.  Scopello is used as a jumping-off point for hikes in the Zingaro Natural Reserve. We spent four nights at Pensione Tranchina in Scopello.  On the night of our arrival the owner asked if we’d be staying for dinner and we said yes.  Well, that was the best decision.  The homemade four-course meal was incredible and for the duration of our stay we ate dinner at Tranchina every night.  The menu changed every night, but it was always the most delicious authentic Sicilian dishes made from scratch by the hotel owner.   From Scopello you can drive to all the historical sights in the region and visit local ruins.  I prefer the natural wonders though so my favorites included hiking the Zingaro to the first three beaches, which were amazing.  Bring lots of water! We also did a snorkeling trip to all of the Zingaro beaches. We hopped off and on the boat all day, swimming in coves to explore the underwater life.  There were beautiful fish to see and the hosts were charming.  It was so fun!!

To be continued  .  .  .

9 Comments leave one →
  1. May 31, 2012 11:05 am

sicily…my love…i live in park slope…but i come from the island…palermo…you have to go…

2. May 31, 2012 6:59 pm

@Jamiro – thanks for checking out my blog! yes, it’s an amazing island!!!! i want to visit palermo! it’s my one regret about our sicily itinerary. it’ll definitely be our first stop on our next Sicilian vacation! i’m sure we’ll want to visit palermo again and again! can’t wait to discover that amazing city. have you been back? xo

• February 12, 2014 6:45 pm

Of course…many times…last in december. what about you…have you come back?

3. July 11, 2012 8:04 pm

My fiance and I have been doing non-stop research trying to decide where to spend our honeymoon, the Aegadian or the Aeolian islands. We will only be there for a week and really didn’t want to travel to both. You have the first blog we’ve come across that talks about visiting both. Would love to hear your thoughts on which islands you think might make a better honeymoon destination. ps congrats on your baby

• July 11, 2012 8:49 pm

Oh, that’s great to hear, thanks. So glad the blog is helpful and also unique! I’d definitely do the Aeolians. We loved Salina and Panarea and want to return to both, but would probably go to Panarea to Hotel Raya first. For honeymoon I recommend Hotel Signum in Salina or Hotel Raya in Panarea, or both. You don’t need more than two nights in Panarea, it’s tiny. If you go there you should rent a boat for the day, either with a guide or without. For a guide walk to the waterfront and ask for Mariella, that’s who we had and she seems to know everyone so even if she’s busy you could get a recommendation for someone else or rent your own boat and she can show you were to go. Oh, the islands are only good in and around summer, the hotels are closed in winter. Would love to hear where you end up going … please let me know! Congratulations on your wedding, have a wonderful honeymoon!!

• July 12, 2012 10:49 am

Thanks so much!! That is great! What you suggested is pretty much exactly what we were thinking for the Aeolians, even the same hotels so I’m glad to hear we are on the right track. We hadn’t given much thought though about which island to go to first so thanks so much for that suggestion too. We are planning to go in early September so hopefully the weather will still be quite nice and the islands will not be as crowded. Thanks again for the advice and I’ll be sure to let you know once we finalize our plans. 🙂

4. September 8, 2012 5:50 pm

Hope you have a great vacation!! Can’t wait to hear how you like it! x

Trackbacks